All I can say is that I love it when a plan comes together (yes I stole that from the “A-Team”). All day yesterday I kept watching the clouds come and go not knowing if I’d get a clear shot at the Supermoon. Fortunately what little good luck I’ve had this Summer getting specific images held strong and the clouds parted for the most part in time to get a pretty clear shot of the Supermoon. Plus the moon appeared exactly where I thought it would, but about 10 minutes later than I had thought. I can live with that margin of error.
My original plan was to get a tight shot of a few of the buildings with the Supermoon to make the Supermoon stand out more, but after playing around with different compositions, I decided that idea wasn’t working. Next I decided to do a panorama of a handful of buildings with the Supermoon rising above and to the right of the far right building. This didn’t highlight the Supermoon as I had wanted to do, but I think it made for a much stronger image. That was the easy part. My first exposure was for the moon and then I changed to expose for the buildings. After that I continued with the panorama photos shooting from right to left.
Creating the final image turned out to be a bit harder than I thought it would be. I assumed that I would blend the first two exposures I made (one for the moon and one for the buildings), make my lens corrections to all of the images and then merge to panorama. Unfortunately, Lightroom wouldn’t merge them together. After some trial and error, I discovered that LR won’t merge a blended image with others to make a panorama.
What I had to do was merge all of the panorama images together in LR and then take that newly created panorama, along with the image exposed for the moon, into Photoshop. I needed to make a new image with a black background and a little larger than the panorama . Next I used the brush tool to make everything in the moon image black except the moon of course. I then copied the moon image and pasted it into the new image I had just made in PS. I aligned the moon as close as I could get by eyeballing it using the rulers and comparing it to the panorama (this is why the new image needed to be larger so I had a margin of error when blending these two later) and saved it as my moon layer.
After importing my moon layer image into LR, both it and the panorama image needed to be brought into Perfect Photo Suite’s Perfect layers. This is where I blended the panorama image with my newly created moon layer. Yes I could’ve blended them in PS, but I prefer PPS as it’s much easier to use (I’ll be making a post about what software I use in the near future). After a series of local edits in Perfect Effects, this is the final image.